Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Kaplan Class

 
The Tuesday after Memorial Day started by me waking up early enough to drive 45 minutes to my Kaplan class, where I was introduced to the fine strategies for passing the NCLEX-RN exam on the first try, money back, guaranteed.  My best bud and I drove together which I would recommend so you have someone to vent with when you don’t understand something in class.  Between the two of us we usually figured out what went wrong using one of our primary tools called The Decision Tree.
 
Despite the fact this class was only in session for 4 days does not mean your work is done.  The most intense part is the time from which you leave class and set out on your own.  Kaplan offers a 2, 3, 4, or 5 week or more study plan designed to help you be as prepared as possible on exam day.

I spend anywhere from 2 -6 hours per day (including the weekends) studying NCLEX questions and reading rationales.  Since I’m no stranger to nursing school demands this load of work seems lighter and manageable than what I’m capable of handling.  None-the-less just because I’ve graduated doesn’t mean it’s relax time. 

UGHHH, don’t get me wrong I made time to relax which included a glorious trip to Vegas with my family.  We enjoyed an impersonator show, lots of walking up and down the strip seeing lots of amazing architecture with mega-sized hotels.  We enjoy watching pirates, water displays, live entertainment/music, and as much tourist shopping as possible.  All mind you in record-breaking (115 degree) heat, which I didn’t mind, coming from the cold state of Wisconsin who still hasn’t gotten the memo to warm up for summer yet.  My only question is, who and why did someone think to create such an amazing city in the middle of the dessert?  The whole time I was there I couldn’t help but think what people are going to do when the water all dries up…hahaha.

Either way, I digress, ultimately things only stayed busy after graduation because I chose the course to take my exam as soon as I could.  I had to wait for my extremely slow school to get all of the paperwork sent to the state, before I could officially get my Authorization to Test (ATT) from Pearson Vue.  Then I proceeded to book the most logical date to take my exam as possible.  Which is coming up y’all and fast!!

Even though I’ve done all this studying post-graduation, and I’ve been a student for 4.5 years, and I’ve been working in the medical field for more than 2 years, I still don’t feel 100% ready to take the most important exam of my life.  However, I’ve looked at the other option of pushing my exam date back and I concluded that an extra couple of days or week isn’t going to make me any more ready.  I just need to take the exam and be done with it!!  Put that baby to bed, and behind me. 

I’ve talked to a lot of co-workers, fellow students and staff, and family who have all been filling me with as much courage and support as humanly possible.  Now I just need to pray and ask God to give me the confidence to feel prepared.  Oh also I’ll be praying that I don’t lose my bowels a.k.a poop my pants on exam day.  That would not be good, hehehe.

Prayerfully my next post will be telling you all I passed NCLEX, and that I’m an RN, otherwise I’ll be mighty upset.

2 comments:

  1. Girl you got this!! I have NO doubt that you will pass this thing on your first try. No worries!!

    ReplyDelete