Monday, December 6, 2021

UPDATE 12.6.2021

 Hello...anyone out there anymore??? Wow, it's been sooo long since I last posted. I don't even know if I'm doing this right. Well this is Zazzy and I'm back to give you an update. Let's see the last time I wrote a blog post was 2/17/2014 when I was a new L&D nurse. Well it's been almost 8 years since that post was written and I've worked multiple jobs as a nurse since then. 

Let's see after 2 years in the hospital I moved onto the outpatient clinic side of nursing working as a triage nurse. This job was AMAZING!!! I learned so much about triage and being able to document properly. It astounds me that more nursing grads aren't doing this type of work or that it isn't a requirement. Seriously that is how I became so proficient in being concise with charting and learning how to see the patient as a whole and having multiple patient age groups to care for. Including infants all the way to geriatrics. I truly used all of my tools I learned in Nursing School while doing this job. Triage Nursing was foundational in my career as a nurse. However I was looking for M-F 8-5p and my job as a triage nurse had me working every 3rd weekend and my shifts were varied in that I could work 5p-1a or 5a-1p just alternating wherever there was a need. So after 2 years I left for a different job. 

The next job I landed was in Case Management type work. I have to say Case Management is my jam! I loved this type of job because I was able to be a detective and help patients with concerns. While helping them to create goals to allow those patients to better themselves over time. I had a case load of 85-90 patients that I called once per month. I would talk to them about ways to help better themselves whether it was encouraging them to eat a better balanced meal, get outside and get exercise or just chat with patients who needed a listening ear. This job had everything I loved. Problem was I had never had a terrible boss until I started on this unit. My boss was the definition of micromanager. I took bosses for granted assuming they all worked hard for the betterment of their team up to this point. My boss was a psycho! This boss got their kicks off of reading every one of our charted notes and making corrections to the way they expected our wording should look. This got old quick. This boss also didn't like us being one minute late from our assigned shift and we would get written up if it happened twice. This boss also didn't want us hovering over the computer waiting for the clock to strike so we could log out and go home. You couldn't please this boss no matter what. So after 2 years, I moved onto my current case management role. 

What I'm doing now is the BEST case management nursing job ever! Like I don't think I'll ever willingly leave. I work M-F 7a-4p no weekends, nights or holidays. I love it! I get to take care of patients, help answer questions, look out for their best interest, advocate so their voice is heard, all while offering resources that really help them. Man I love what I do. Best part is I get to do it all from the comfort of my home office. The entire job is telephonic and amazing! 

Goodness it almost brings me to tears to remember how much stress and strain I felt from working as a staff L&D nurse. So much sacrifice I made to my family not being there for them when they needed me the most. If I could go back and changes things I wouldn't give up being a nurse but I definitely would have started my nursing career before starting a family. Hands down! I don't live with regrets because I may not have ended up marrying my husband or having the 2 beautiful kids I have today but I would encourage other nursing hopefuls to get your nursing schooling done early. You'll thank me later for it.

That's it for not as far as updates go, I'm so happy I am able to start blogging again. I look forward to the future and being able to come on here and have a place to pour out my heart once again. 

2 comments:

  1. Check out this update!! I have been in case management for an insurance company for 4 years now & you are exactly right. It’s amazing & I love it too!

    ReplyDelete