Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Mini-get-away


The very first minute I stepped out of the airport terminal while my hubby was securing us a rental car, the afternoon breeze smacked me in the face reminding me what it feels like to be human again.  I was “in love” with the warm temperature and thought if there was a lounge chair I probably would have sat down and taken a nap.  I had only been to Georgia one other time but didn’t really appreciate the experience like I did this last weekend. The weather of course was wonderful.  The people I came in contact with were lovely, friendly, and hospitable.  The family we stayed with was awesome, our kids and their kids had such a fun time playing together and running around the house enjoying each other.  There was lots of eating to our hearts content and “dance-offs” in the evenings before bed.  Shopping on Saturday where I scored a pair of brown leather boots to add to my collection was only a small highlight.  Unfortunately the mini-vaca ended all too quickly and I was headed back to Wisconsin by Sunday afternoon, while the hubby and kids stayed to go to the Cowboys/Falcons game later that night. 
Even though I came back earlier than the rest of my family I was happy once again to sleep in my own bed.  And I had to crank up the heat seeing as though the temperature difference was at least 30 degrees from where I had been.  Geez, next summer can’t come soon enough for when we move to a warmer state.

Monday, yesterday, I had clinical in the PICU.  I helped a new orientating grad nurse take care of an infant with Prader-willi along with many other difficulties leaving him, vent dependent, trach dependent, and peg dependent.  What stood out to me the most was how the mom doted on him and sang to him, talked to him even if he didn’t respond to her, she continued.  She did all of his trach suctioning, cleaning and was involved when RT had to percuss his chest to break up the fluid in his lungs.  I thought this woman has so much more strength than I’ll ever know, and the amount of love and devotion is endless.  This is what you sign up for when you become a parent, the unconditional and endless love for the baby God has placed in your care.  Each day I come home from clinical I’m so grateful that my kids are healthy and smart and beautiful.  I love them with all of my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment