Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Zippered Lined Pouch Tutorial


While in high school I loved home economics and my favorite part was sewing.  I learned how to sew basic things like pillows and boxer shorts, and then as I progressed throughout the years I learned to make outfits like a romper pant suit such as this one: 

I would help some of my friends by taking in the sides of some of their gowns for dances like Homecoming or Prom.  As the years moved on, I loved making toddler outfits for my kids especially their Halloween costumes (much more cost effective too).
I’m in need of a new sewing machine because the one I’m currently using is on its last leg, but I continue using it for small projects.  Lately I’ve been seeing blogs like So Sew Something where Robie Kaye Dodson makes projects like a zippered lined pouch, which then in turn inspired me to make something similar like this rendition of my own zippered lined pouch.
Here is my step-by-step tutorial of how to make a Zippered Lined Pouch inspired by Robie Kaye Dodson at So Sew Something
How to Make a Lined Zipper Pouch – without using a pattern! (disclaimer:  most of this tutorial was verbatim by Robie's blog posting)

First I started with my zipper and because I didn’t buy one from the store I recycled one from another outfit.  Mine just so happened to be 14 inches or so and I would suggest using a zipper that is about 1-2 inches longer on either side of the fabric square you choose.
Now you'll want to pick whichever fabric that makes your heart sing, and I just so happened to have these alternating patterns on hand.  I chose to cut mine in sections about 12 inches square (all the same size), and there are four squares here (two in each color), my outside fabric is the pink with green polka dots and lining is the green color.


Now here's where you want to pay close attention - you're going to be layering, and the order is very important.  Start by placing one piece of your OUTER FABRIC face up.  Then along the upper width, place your zipper wrong side up and centered over the fabric.  In my picture you can't see the zipper pull but it's facing down.

Now take one of your lining pieces, and lay it on top of the zipper and outer fabric.  You'll want all three pieces (outer fabric, zipper, lining fabric) to align at the very top.  You can pin if you prefer.  Now sew the two fabric pieces to the zipper.

This is what it should look like when you open up to view the zipper, one piece of fabric on either side of the zipper.  Good!


Okay the next step is pretty critical you'll want to lay the remaining OUTER FABRIC piece face up.  Turn your sewn section over so that the zipper pull is now on the opposite side but still facing down.  Place the remaining LINING fabric on top of the entire set, face down.  Look closely at the picture from Robie's blog posting because I forgot to take a picture of mine.  You'll be aligning the two remaining fabric pieces at the top of the zipper, while the pieces already sewn are dangling down a bit in the middle of the fabric sandwich.
Once you sew up the second side to the zipper, you'll have something that looks like this.  Both OUTER FABRIC pieces on one side and the LINING pieces on the other, right sides facing each other.


Once again I inserted a picture of Robie's next step here because I didn't take a picture of this next important step.  Lay out your pouch with the two sides separated.  UNZIP THE ZIPPER ABOUT HALFWAY (very important).  Overlap the opening ends of the zipper just a bit.  Now, sew a continuous seam all the way around the entire project - beginning with the lining and LEAVE AN OPENING for turning.

Another important step I didn't picture, thank you Robie for taking the best picture of clipping the excess off the zipper at the sides, and then turning the pouch right side out by pulling everything through the opening.  Use a pair of scissors to poke out the corners of the outer fabric.


Sew up the opening and clip your frayed thread.  Then tuck that little lining into your pouch.


And you've got the finished product that has an awesome lining with a zipper to open and close should look like this:

Mine turned out just big enough to slip my Kindle and charging cord into.

Here's to hoping you can make your pouch just as fun and easy as mine was!
It actually took me longer to write this post then it did to make the project!  In all the project took approximately 30 minutes (my first time ever making one of these) and on Robie's blog she reassures us that future pouches we make will take even less time then that.  
The cost was zero for me because I had all material at my home and I recycled my own zipper.  I'm sure the zipper in the store would cost $1-2 and the material would be under a dollar for all, especially if you purchased from the clearance pre-cut pieced bin.  
Happy Sewing to you

No comments:

Post a Comment